Maasdam’s Famous Home Made Sorghum Syrup
Product of IOWA
Sorghum is a syrup made from sweet sorghum cane used as a table syrup and can be used in baking.
Use sorghum syrup on pancakes, corn bread, and bread. Use sorghum syrup in baked beans, cookies, BBQ sauce and popcorn balls.
Facts About Sorghum Syrup!
- Sorghum syrup is made from sorghum cane, not corn or sugar cane or grain sorghum. Sorghum cane grows 12 to 15 feet tall. The stalk is pressed for the juice.
- Sorghum syrup and molasses are not the same. Molasses is a by-product of the sugar industry. Sorghum is the juice from the sorghum cane that is boiled to produce the syrup.
- Sorghum does not need to be refrigerated. It does not mold like maple syrup, but could sugar. If this happens, just reheat it back to liquid form.
- Sorghum is healthy for you. It contains iron, calcium and potassium.
- Sorghum ranked 5th out of 40 foods tested for antioxidants.
- Be sure you are buying pure sorghum and not blended.